Friday, June 12, 2009

The final furlong.

Sure what else could I call the final blog on 23 things? I have loved this programme. I loved the security of doing it in work with colleagues. Writing blogs semi-anonymously was exciting and having a reason to ramble about what you are up to is a bit of a luxury! I'm big into top-three lists and listing favourite films, bands on the first day for the blog profile made me think this whole exercise has to be anonymous. I go slightly red when I go public and type the name of a band, book or film. I enjoyed putting these lists together and seeing other blogs linked by their favourites. I admire people who make observations in plain English and I would love to articulate like Ryan T. on the radio but I have local heros too.

Going red but still typing top-three favourite discoveries


1. Lee LeFever's hand waving & explaining in plain English

2. Gordon Young & Stephen Kinsella speaking about Web 2.0 in plain English

3. There are people out there who care enough to challenge subject headings and come up with tagging.

Twitter was my least favourite because some ramblings can become a bit egotistical (ahem). Twitter also highlighted that the social side of Web 2.0 dates very quickly, as author of blog what was written yesterday could be interpreted very differently today.

I think Web 2.0 helps connect with 2009 students I can see tagging, wikis, Facebook, voki, IM, Lee LeFever all being used successfully in our library. It helps that all this is so green and paperless. But being realistic in an academic setting Stephen Kinsella summed it up well; who actually cares what we blog and twitter about but at least we're making an effort.

Dedication and acknowledgement to Powerstation (the library linked horse) who has been first to the Winning post three times since this blog started. Winner alright, winner alright!

Thank you to Helena, Karen and Lindsay for 23 things.

1 comment: